Pools play many positive roles in the lives of their owners. They can serve as the center of family activity, as an essential individual retreat, or as refuge from the Texas heat. However, if you have had your pool for some time, you may be struggling to keep it from becoming the anything but positive underutilized backyard eyesore. If you are thinking of a pool renovation project, here are some tips to help make it successful, including a few designed to keep your renovation from becoming the proverbial household money pit!
There are three key decisions that must be made to ensure a successful pool renovation:
1. Whether to undertake the project yourself. You may be tempted to try to handle the renovation or repair yourself in order to save money. However, even the most experienced do-it-yourself disciples should be cautious when considering this path. Pool renovation jobs are usually big, and the pool construction process contains many phases (e.g., design & planning, repair & construction, and landscape design & installation, among others). These phases require very diverse skill sets rarely found in one individual, let alone one who is not a full-time professional in the industry. Unfortunately, many do-it-yourself plans very quickly become candidates for repair or renovation themselves, which necessitates significantly more time and expense than would have been required had a professional been hired from the outset.
2. How much to spend. A pool renovation can cost as much or more than the original installation. It is very important that you decide on your budget prior to getting caught up in the sales process. Horror stories abound of unscrupulous contractors who attempt to sell their customers expensive and unnecessary pool upgrades. A quality and experienced professional will work with you to prioritize your needs so that you are thrilled with the result – without breaking the bank.
3. The scope of the project. There are plenty of possibilities when it comes to the size and focus of the project. Your contractor should assess the current state of your pool and then discuss each potential area of renovation with you in order to develop a plan that incorporates your pool’s current needs and your desires. Here is a partial list of areas your project could include:
- Repair of breaches or weaknesses in pool walls
- Change in the size and/or depth of the pool
- New vinyl liner
- New or enhanced decking
- New pump and filter
- Water features like waterfalls or streams
- New or enhanced lighting
As you can see, pool renovation can be both exciting and intimidating! It is important to have an experienced professional as your guide. The team at Metroplex H2O Solutions has decades of experience designing, installing, and rebuilding pools. They have the vision and the attention to detail necessary to turn that tired eyesore into an award-winning masterpiece – all while staying within your means. Give them a call today (817-223-5646) and recreate your oasis at home!